Thursday, December 10, 2009

Poetry: Once

Once I had the world, or so I thought,
I had the girl, the job, the car,
but circumstances wouldn't pan out,
and alone I went to a land very far.
Once I thought I was happy with where I was,
but the days became the same, blurring in my eyes,
caffeine and alcohol became an interchangeable buzz,
I left before my bad habits could surprise.
Once I gave a girl a ring and thought she was the one,
I carved the diamond out of my heart, trusting her for all time,
but she used my mind and soul, locking me under the barrel of a gun,
I left and did what I had to do, saving my sanity from her filthy grime.
Once I thought I couldn't love again, but then I met you,
the one who taught me that love comes when we least expect it,
I offer up what I can, giving you love and affection for all you do,
you, that missing part of my heart, the part no one else could fit.

No comments: