Monday, November 16, 2009

Writing: Moment in Time - Come and Go

I watch as people come and go from class. Each bundled up tight in jackets, or sweaters, or sometimes both. All in the hope to ward off the chill of this mid-October evening. They come and they go, off to home or here for class. Many going to jobs or loved ones, hoping to find themselves. This campus is more like a bus station, full of people looking for a place to go. Some know where they are going and work hard and suffer to get there. Some sit and think, not about where they want to go, but on life's little unimportant moments. They dwell on things that may have happened or could happen instead of vowing to take control. There are others still who walk this cool October sunset. Others who, by the look in their eyes, know they do not belong. These are the people holding their jackets tightly or talking loudly .. phones for all to hear, hoping to either hide in obscurity or in plain sight.

Classes let out, students hurry to their cars or classes, their laughter and silence hanging heavy in the air, masking their thoughts. While I watch, I wonder where I fit in this ebb and flow of humanity. Do I know where I am going or am I lost, searching for the right path? The chill strikes me as I avoid that question while the sounds of this bud depot fill my ears and erase the answer. Another question for another time, I say as I check my wallet for a single. I stand up, glance around one more time, and head to the coffee machine for something to warm me up on this crisp October night.

No comments: