Monday, November 16, 2009

Writing: Moment in Time - Hall of Dreams

I walk slowly, just before the first classes end. I stop when I reach the center of two intersecting halls. The gleaming floors stretch out in four directions, door after door receded down those endless hallways.

Sudden waves of people assault me, released like a raging bull; pouring from every door. They swirl around me like the unruly ocean around a small, unnoticed island. They push and shove, currents pushing and pulling them, but never interrupting their flow.

As they move around me, the colors they wear meld into streams. Streaks of red, yellow, blue. Rainbows of colors flow about me, drowning me in rarely seen beauty. I watch them move hurriedly from class to class until they stream bed empties again; the color fading.

I stand alone, silent. No words able to describe what I just experienced. I look down those gleaming halls and remember the flowing rainbow that suddenly surrounded me, only to fade just as quickly. Almost... as if a dream. I continue to my next class, still lost in the colors of that endless moment. Now the halls seem lifeless, refusing to shift and move in dazzling colors. Until, that is, the next time the unheard signal sounds, releasing their multi-hued flood once again.

No comments: