Monday, November 16, 2009

Writing: Moment in Time - Dark Water

I stand on a lone rock, surrounded on all sides by water. Still and calm, almost as if it was a sheet of glass, the ocean surrounds me. No land in sight, no signs of life. The water is dark. Darker than the dead of night, which holds me in it's terrifying caress. I dare not move, afraid I will fall into that darkness which might be water or an endless hole which would swallow me whole.

Trembling with a chill not born on wind, because in fact, there is no wind, I slowly kneel down and stare deep into the dark water, hoping to see something, anything, that will break the surface and the complete darkness. My reflection is swallowed in that inky water before it has a chance to form. I reach my clammy, trembling hand down and touch the surface and feel the water move around my fingers.

I stare in amazement at the water that was a second ago flat as a sheet of ice ripple and quake. A speck of blue appears around my fingers and grows outward. A shimmering blue surrounds my hand as I see that wonderful azure shatter the darkness around me. With the speed of light, the shining blue light shoots out in all directions, obliterating the dark water as it goes by.

Suddenly surrounded by shimmering light, I stand up in bewilderment. The chills that wracked my body vanish as the sun once again warms my skin. I close my eyes and take a deep breath, intoxicated with the salty brine scent of the ocean. With a mind clear and unafraid, I take a step off that lone rock and fall into that crystal blue water. I never returned to that rock or the life I left behind. I found contentment cutting my path through that sea that shined like diamonds in the sun. My new life agrees with me and with a chuckling thought, I wryly remember a time I did not believe in life after death.

No comments: