Monday, November 16, 2009

Writing: Moment in Time - Second Chance

The wind whips around my face, burning me with its hatred. The trees, barren and dying, claw at the uncaring sky like skeletal hands rising from the ground. The grass, once lush and full of life, lies brown and dead, breaking under my feet.

I turn around, the dry grass protesting beneath me. I look to the horizon and the blood red sun as it sets, wondering how life came to be like this. I hear a sound from behind me and look up into the steel colored sky. My eyes follow the long procession of helicopters towards the small city, laying toy-like, in the distance. I watch as they disappear into the burning pool that is slowly lowering in front of me.

The flash is bright, so bright that I need to look away. My eyes, burning in that blinding light, struggle to see ahead. The cloud rises, forming a mushroom and a ring of light that speeds outward towards me. I close my eyes and picture her face, the one I love, as the light reaches me. I feel no pain and see only pure white. My body no longer has no weight, but I realize that it is no longer there.

This is the legacy we have left our children, I regretfully think to myself, as the lights slowly dim. Darkness comes slowly, but up ahead, a light. I cannot move towards it or away, only stay where I am, wondering if I will ever see her again. Yes, I am told by a soundless voice.

The wind caresses my face, slowly whisking across my cheek in a caring embrace. Large trees wave in the breeze, their leaves rustling in a gentle melody. The grass below me, green and full of life, moves in slowly rolling waves outward towards a small city in the horizon. I look up into the bright blue sky, crisp and clear. I was wrong, I think quietly to myself. This is the legacy I leave to my children. With a smile on my face I turn to her and gently take her hand. It's a beautiful day.

No comments: