Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Writing: Moment in Time - Great Day

Stuck, just like every time before. I sip my screwdriver, tasting the sweet orange mix with the bitter vodka. I watch my girlfriend in the arms of another. It was my fault that I am here. I folded every time I resolutely turned away from her. I would tell her we are over, yet days later she is back with me. Watching them, I sigh bitterly as I raise the glass to my lips. Same shit, different day, I mutter under my breath. Greeted by a questioning look from the bartender as I spin to face the counter, a quick glance over my shoulder gives him the whole story. He pours me another drink and nods in understanding. I chuckle to myself, maybe I am not the only person alone in this packed club. I glance once more over my shoulder at my, as of this moment, ex-girlfriend straddling some nameless man at a far back table. I sip my drink and set it down next to a small leather bound book that wasn't there a moment ago. Looking up into the darkest eyes and shiest smile I had ever seen, I know I would be a fool if I did not talk to her right away.

Hours pass between us. She ignited a passion for speech that I never knew I possessed. She never slouched on her end, keeping me enthralled, begging for her next story like a starving man waiting for scraps of food. Never noticing nor caring when the girl I arrived with left, this woman had me hook, line, and sinker. We talked endlessly of love and life, books, music, and movies. We danced for hours and laughed the entire time. I drove her home, walking her to the door. A kiss and phone number was exchanged, followed by another soft kiss. On the short walk back to my car, I look to the just rising sun. It's going to be a great day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This started off sad, but then after I read it all, it became happy again! lol. I've noticed a lot of your tidbits involve girls either cheating or walking out and even though it's sad, I think it's a subject that many people can relate to, even if you hadn't gone through it.