Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Writing: Moment in Time - Worthy

She sits across from me, eyes flickering across the pages of her book. Toes tapping on the glossy, tiled floor, she reads to the music in her head. I sit on the couch, glancing up from my own novel, watching her read while bathed in the fading sunlight. She flicks another page and continues to read with iron clad resolution, never noticing the smile playing across my face.

I stop watching her, returning to my own reading though the smile continues to light up my face. She glances up from her tale to give me a questioning look. I glance up and return the look to her, enjoying the back and forth. A slight shrug and a flicker of annoyance mar her beauty for only a brief moment. I lower my eyes to the book, but not to read.

Thinking of what to do, I reach inside my pocket for the ring I bought her yesterday. I steal a glance at her, hoping she doesn't suspect. Deeply engrossed in her book, she would not see it coming. Her hair, cascading down her face, shields her eyes from me. I hesitate to move, afraid of what her response might be. Do I risk what we have for what we might or do I remain content with what we already have accomplished?

A deep breath and a push away from the couch answers my question. Foolish or not, the is no waiting any longer. I walk towards her, my hand dipping into my pocket for her ring. . .

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awwww, this is another one you should make into a short story. It's good as a one-shot because the reader can guess what you're going to do, but then it leaves for anticipation if she's going to say 'yes.'